Today, Thursday, December 1, 2016, our state legislators are considering critical energy legislation to transform energy in Illinois.
The Faith in Place Action Fund supports the amended Future Energy Jobs Bill (SB 2814) because it will:
- Fix the state’s broken Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) to spur private capital investments in wind and solar.
- Give Illinois one of the top energy efficiency programs in the entire nation, building on the success of 2007 energy efficiency programs that have led to more than 85,000 jobs across the state of Illinois.
- Create jobs in every community across Illinois, to ensure a clean energy workforce is built in Illinois.
- Establish the state’s first Community Solar program, which enables those not able to build solar on their roof to subscribe to a shared project in their community.
- Save consumers money. According to consumer analysis by CUB, due to the extraordinary benefits of the bill’s energy efficiency programs, each customer in Illinois would see a $14.80 reduction on their electricity bill each year throughout the lifetime of the bill.
- Invest more than $750 million in low-income programs, including new Illinois Solar for All Program to prioritize new solar development and job training in economically disadvantaged communities. Specific programs will deliver consumer savings, economic development, and job training and creation for persons with a record, and former foster children.
- Act on climate, and provide our children and seniors with healthier air to breathe for decades to come.
Since today is the last day of Veto Session, our policymakers must act swiftly to pass this bill.